Get Informed, Stay Inspired

The director of WHO repeats plea for ceasefire as Gaza hospital is demolished.
Middle East World News

The director of WHO repeats plea for ceasefire as Gaza hospital is demolished.

The Israeli military conducted a four-day raid on Kamal Adwan Hospital last week, during which the World Health Organization (WHO) states that numerous health workers were allegedly detained.

Tedros expressed on social media platform X that the health system in Gaza was already struggling and the closure of another hospital, even if it was barely operational, is a significant setback.

Only one hospital in Gaza’s northern region is partially operational, accounting for less than a third of the enclave’s 36 total hospitals.

Tedros urged for an immediate ceasefire to stop attacks on hospitals, healthcare workers, and patients.

The shelters of displaced individuals were “bulldozed.”

The director of the World Health Organization stated that numerous individuals at Kamal Adwan were forced to evacuate on their own, putting their well-being in jeopardy, as ambulances were unable to access the location.

According to an update from the UN’s humanitarian coordination office, OCHA, Israeli forces left the hospital on Saturday. Media sources reported that a bulldozer from the Israeli military destroyed the tents of several displaced individuals near the hospital, resulting in unconfirmed casualties.

On X, Tedros expressed deep worry on behalf of the WHO for the safety and well-being of individuals who have been forced to leave their homes.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health in Ramallah has requested an investigation into the incident, as reported by OCHA. The Israeli army has confirmed detaining 90 individuals during the operation and claims to have discovered weapons and ammunition inside the hospital.

Communications blackout

OCHA has emphasized that their recent report on the current humanitarian conditions in Gaza is limited due to a telecommunications and internet disruption that began on Thursday and carried on through the weekend. This has resulted in a lack of comprehensive information from the last 24 hours.

As of the blackout’s beginning, there have been 18,787 deaths and over 50,000 injuries reported by Gaza’s health authorities. They have not provided any further updates on these numbers.

Over the weekend, the United Nations Office reported ongoing intense airstrikes by Israel in the Gaza Strip, specifically targeting Khan Younis in the south and various areas in Gaza City in the north.

According to OCHA, there was intense conflict between Israeli forces and Palestinian armed groups in Khan Younis and Rafah, and Palestinian armed groups also continued to launch rockets into Israel.

The Kerem Shalom border crossing. (file)

The border crossing at Kerem Shalom.

A second border crossing has been established to provide assistance.

The people living in the enclave are facing a dire humanitarian crisis. Due to displacement, they are now crammed into a small area in the southern region, living with poor sanitation and without access to food and water.

The aid community was pleased with the announcement on Friday that the Kerem Shalom border crossing between Israel and Gaza will open, raising hopes for increased aid deliveries.

According to reports, the crossing was open on Sunday for the first time since October 7th. Prior to this, only the Rafah border crossing in the south had been open since deliveries resumed on October 21st.

UN emergency relief chief Martin Griffiths, who leads OCHA, stated that promptly implementing this agreement will enhance the distribution of aid. However, what the individuals in Gaza truly require is for this conflict to come to a conclusion.